Monday, October 25, 2010

My review of Bioshock 2

Okay, I played through the first Bioshock marveling at the amazing graphics and wonderfully creepy atmosphere. When I heard news of the sequel of this astounding game, I became very excited. I bought it the week it was released, and happily popped the disc inside my PS3. I started the game with biased opinions, all of which were good, thinking that this would be nearly as good as the original masterpiece. It wasn't.

First off, the creepy atmosphere from the first game just didn't feel like it was there in this one. I assumed that with the addition of the Big Sisters that the creepiness was going to be even more, but it just wasn't. The splicers were a bit changed, but it surely didn't help much. Also, the moral choices are one of the reasons I wanted this one, too. The original Bioshock's moral choices weren't much of moral choices at all. Harvest the little sisters, or save them. That was it. The moral choices were slightly improved this time, but not to the level I expected.

The story was actually one aspect of the game I really liked. It was seemingly better than the first, but I still love the first games message more. "A man chooses. A slave obeys." But I do love the father-daughter relationship conveyed in the sequel.

I guess my gripe with it is that it just didn't have the same effect on me that Bioshock did. Maybe with Bioshock Infinite, they'll be able to pick it back up.

Thanks for reading! What were your opinions of Bioshock 2? Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment